St Albans Chess Club
New players are always welcome.
Please, contact the club secretary prior to your visit so that we can arrange some suitable opponents.
Adults & Older Juniors
- Monday, 7.30pm to 11.00pm
Early Knights Juniors
- Monday, 6.15pm to 7.15pm (during school term)
- Please, read information on Early Knights page
Annual General Meeting & Dates for End of Season
- 13th June. Juniors v Seniors Match
- 20th June. Annual General Meeting.
- 27th June. Friendly Rapidplay Match, Home v Harrow
- 4th July. Handicap Rapidplay Tournament
- 11th July. Summer Season begins. Meeting at County Club on Monday evenings from 7.30pm
Double Cross Match: St Albans 21 v 19 Harrow
Double Cross Match 2022 (photo by Graham Branch)
Silver Rook Club Championship - Knock-Out Stage
15 June 2022. Final.
- Paul Lawrence (4) v Lubo Botev (7)
31 May 2022. Semi-Finals.
- Paul Lawrence (4) v Aidan Ellis (8)
- Lubo Botev (7) v Greg Hotala (3)
04 March 2022. The quarterfinal KO stage matches are as follows (with seed number shown in brackets):
- Jeremy Fraser-Mitchell (1) v Aidan Ellis (8)
- Lubo Botev (7) v John Gemmell (2)
- Greg Hotala (3) v Stephen Millar (6)
- Stephen Grant (5) v Paul Lawrence (4)
Matches are expected to be played by Easter (or end of April if you're really struggling).
Deadlines for Semi-Final and Final are to be determined but expect around end May and end June respectively.
Silver Rook Club Championship - Qualifying RoundsResults from the Rapidplay qualifying tournaments can be viewed using the following links:
- Round 3 - https://www.ecfrating.org.uk/v2/new/list_games_swiss.php?event_code=MF2116§ion_no=1
- Round 2 - https://www.ecfrating.org.uk/v2/new/list_games_swiss.php?event_code=MF2108§ion_no=1
- Round 1 - https://www.ecfrating.org.uk/v2/new/list_games_swiss.php?event_code=MF2102§ion_no=1
Our first meeting was partly devoted to the club's AGM which was well attended with three prospective new members joining us.
Matt Ball, Early Knights Organiser, reported on the Juniors successes during Lockdown when playing in the Five Counties League and J4NCL. Five juniors progressed to the Terafinal of the UK Chess Challenge which took place Online.
Three Early Knights Juniors were invited to participate in the ECF Academy which included coaching sessions with England's leading Grandmasters.
Jeremy was re-elected Club President, Chris Pines succeeds Robert Collopy as Secretary and John Gemmell takes over from Simon Narbeth as Treasurer. Simon was presented with an engraved tankard in appreciation of his long service. Ray Claret continues as Congress Organiser.
Subscriptions fees remain unchanged, although those of existing members will be discounted to compensate for the club nights lost at the end of the 2019/20 season. The 2020/21 season (over-the-board) was missed entirely.
Subscriptions for the new season are now due and the normal early payment discounts apply if received before the end of October 2021.
The Herts Chess League would be expected to start in October, but with the considerable uncertainty as to how many teams each club could support it is likely there may be some delay. The matter will be discussed at the next Executive meeting of the Hertfordshire County Chess Association in early September.