St Albans Chess Club
|Adults & Older Juniors||Early Knights|
|Monday, 7.30pm to 11.00pm||Monday, 6.15pm to 7.15pm (during school term)|
|Contact: Robert Collopy||Contact: Matt Ball & Michael Flatt|
Please, avoid arriving too early and interrupting the Early Knights session which runs immediately before the main club.
We are fortunate to be able to meet in the County Club which is a private members club.The County Club rules specify that: Mobile phones are not permitted to be used in the members' bar area.
To view fixtures and results for a particular St Albans team, please, select the appropriate button.All Teams St Albans 1 St Albans 2 St Albans 3 St Albans 4 St Albans 5 St Albans 6
League tables are available on the Hertfordshire results website: chess-results.e2-e4.co.uk
Annual Subsciptions and ECF Membership
Annual subscriptions to St Albans Chess Club are now due.
If renewed before 1st October 2019: Early Knights £35, Adults £50, Concessions (u18 juniors / unwaged etc) £25.
Please, make all cheques payable to "St Albans Chess Club" and hand them to the Treasurer, Simon Narbeth.
|Account name:||St Albans Chess Club|
|Sort code:||30 93 90|
It is also time to renew your ECF membership. There are several options:
- BRONZE (£18, junior £6) is usually sufficient if only participate in club and local league,
- SILVER (£27, junior £6*) if you intend to play in other ECF graded events (e.g. weekend congresses),
- GOLD (£39, junior £19.50) for FIDE rated events,
- or PLATINUM (£75) as GOLD plus a donation to the ECF.
For further information on ECF Membership see: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/ecf-membership/
Renew or upgrade ECF membership online: https://ecf.azolve.com/Account.mvc/Login?ReturnUrl=%2f
* Junior Silver ECF membership is available FREE to players who have not previously been members of the Federation in any category.
St Albans Club Championship - Silver Rook
The three qualifying tournaments are being played on these dates:
- Day 1, 16th September 2019
- Day 2, 11th November 2019
- Day 3, 13th January 2020
The eight players leading the qualifying stage are:
Jon Freeman (750 pts), Aidan Ellis (730 pts), Neil Willmott (720 pts), James Palmer (684 pts), Jeremy Fraser-Mitchell (639 pts), Stephen Milllar (615 pts), Michael Flatt (569 pts), Simon Narbeth (526 pts).
The tournament crosstables are available at:
For competition rules see: Silver Rook Rules
Simultaneous by IM Peter Roberson
The club's top player once again kicked off the new season with a twenty-two board simultaneous against the rest of the club at the County Club on Monday 9th September 2019.
Peter scored 18 wins, 4 draws and 0 losses. The draws were obtained by Katie Ball (Early Knights Junior), Matt Ball (Katie's father), Robert Collopy (Hon Secretary) and Stephen Millar.
The full list of participants can be found at Simultaneous 2019
Please, note the following dates and events arranged for the start of the new season.
- Monday 2rd Sept.First club night.
- Monday 9th Sept. Simultaneous IM Peter Roberson vs Club Members
- Monday 16th Sept. Expected release of Herts league fixtures.
- Monday 16th Sept. Silver Rook. First Qualifying Event (Rapidplay).
- Saturday & Sunday, 21-22 Sept. Herts Individual Championships
(Capel, Burn & Bunce Cups). At Hertford Chess Club.
- Monday 23rd Sept. Cheshire Board. Away vs Watford. West Herts Sports & Social Club, Watford.
- Monday 23rd Sept. St Albans Juniors vs Watford Juniors. At County Club, St Albans.
- Sunday 29 Sept. Cambridgeshire Rapidplay in Whittlesford (north east of Royston).
See entry form: http://cambschess.co.uk/Rapidplay 2019 entry.pdf
- Sunday 29 Sept. Letchworth FiDE Rapidplay. See details: https://letchworthchess.blogspot.com
- Monday 30th Sept. Start of League Matches.